[Microformats-dev] hCards for companies and orgs as opposed to people?

Dan Connolly connolly at w3.org
Mon Jul 25 14:23:01 PDT 2005

Tantek and I have been discussing an issue...
  http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar-issues

2005-07-22 raised by DanConnolly
     1. in my cellphone/sidekick address book, I have a number of
        entries for companies. I wrote
        asHCard.xsl (http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2001/palmagent/asHCard.xsl) to convert the data from RDF to hCard, but I don't know what to do with entries for companies, since FN is mandatory in hCard.
              * A: This should be an FAQ. "How do I write an hCard for a
                company?" The vCard specification is silent on this
                point (entries for companies). Thus there are two
                options as far as the hCard standard is concerned:
                     1. Set "fn" and "org" to the same value. E.g. <span
                        class="fn org">W3C</span>
                     2. Set "org" as usual, and set "fn" explicitly to
                        empty. E.g. <span class="fn"></span><span
                        class="org">W3C</span>
              * For converting applications (hCard to vCard), they may
                consider using proprietary extensions to make the
                distinction explicit in generated vCards, based on
                either case 1 or 2 above. E.g. Apple's Address Book
                application supports the property: X-ABShowAs:COMPANY

I'm new to this microformats community, so this is sort of a test to
see whether things get more or less attention in email vs. the wiki.

I tried putting the company name in both the ORG and FN
fields, but when I hit the edit button in Apple's addressbook,
it treated the FN string as given/family name.

I notice that I'm not the only one running into this issue...
Cinema Treasures has no class="fn" in their data...

$ xsltproc --stringparam Source
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/12884/ xhtml2vcard.xsl
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/12884/
BEGIN:VCARD
PRODID:-//connolly.w3.org//palmagent 0.6 (BETA)//EN
SOURCE: http://cinematreasures.org/theater/12884/
NAME: Cinema Treasures | Plaza Theatre
VERSION:3.0
FN;LANGUAGE=en:
N;LANGUAGE=en:;;;;;
ADR;LANGUAGE=en:;;1603 Main Street East;Humboldt;TN;38343;;
ORG;LANGUAGE=en:Plaza Theatre
URL:http://cinematreasures.org/theater/12884
END:VCARD

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E