[uf-dev] Re: [uf-discuss] Plazes, Part 2

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 21 11:48:30 PDT 2006

On 4/21/06 11:35 AM, "Ryan King" <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:

> ...moving to mf-dev....
>
> On Apr 20, 2006, at 4:42 PM, Brian Suda wrote:
>> --- at the moment no. The problem is that each of these x-parameters
>> are vendor specific and are not part of the RFC. Secondly, there is no
>> way to be 100% sure that "x-im" is in reference to an IM address or
>> just a CSS class name that happens to be called "x-im".
>

> I was just thinking...
>
> I believe that URLs are the right way to do IM screen names in hCard.
> However, I don't think there'd be any harm in consuming agents and
> proxies to convert these URI schemes to the experimental properties.
> I don't propose that I'd be required of consumers, but it might be
> something nice for consumers to do for their users.
>
> so,
>
> <a class="url" href="aim:kingryan331">my aim</a>
>
> could become

> URL:aim:kingryan331
> X-AIM:kingryan331
>
> Am I missing something? Would these heuristics be problematic?

Ryan, I'm not convinced this is the right thing to do, but this is worth
exploring a bit, and certainly worth documenting.

Let's take this in two directions.

1. Document any vendor-specific "X-" support for vCard on the vCard
implementations page (similarly for iCalendar):

 http://microformats.org/wiki/vcard-implementations
 http://microformats.org/wiki/icalendar-implementations

2. Add your proposed thoughts on having "hCard to vCard converters optional
produce X- properties" to hCard brainstorming, perhaps in a new section at
the bottom.

 http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-brainstorming

Thanks,

Tantek