[uf-dev] Abomination or clever work around? You decide (reference via object)

John Panzer jpanzer at aol.net
Wed Feb 22 13:41:24 PST 2006

I'm wondering whether the technique in
http://microformats.org/wiki/resume-brainstorming#hCard_reference_via_object
would help answer one of the issues we've been thinking about at AOL
when combining reviews with existing structures such as blog entries.

For concreteness, suppose I have an hAtom entry with two reviews in it;
they share the same "dtreviewed".  In this case it's not possible to
merge both reviews together and just use class="dtreviewed published".
More generally, consider a page with an existing "publish date"
somewhere in a standard location, which contains a collection of reviews
all published together.

Would the following be abusive/unexpected?  Or given
hCard_reference_via_object, is it a reasonable thing to want to do?

<abbr class="published" id="ed"
title="2006-02-22T15:00:00-07:00">Wednesday</abbr>
<h3 class="headline">My day at the office...</h3>
I spent the day struggling with computers... here's my quick take:

class="rating">2</span>/5 stars for ease of use.
<object data="#ed" class="dtreviewed"></object>

class="rating">0</span>/5 stars due to failure to install.
<object data="#ed" class="dtreviewed"></object>

(For a real world use case for multiple reviews in a single container,
look at Jerry Pournelle's product recommendations at the end of any of
his columns.)

--
John Panzer
Sr. Technical Manager