[uf-dev] hCard test 30: empty ABBR element

Drew McLellan lists at allinthehead.com
Wed Jun 21 05:31:16 PDT 2006

hCard test 30 relies on an empty, self-closing ABBR element for 'org'
in the last hcard:
http://microformats.org/tests/hcard/30-fn-org.html

As far as I can tell, an empty ABBR can't ever be valid. Its very
purpose is to enclose an abbreviation that is then defined in the
title attribute. With no abbreviation to define, you can't have an ABBR.

To my surprise, the W3C validator doesn't care about empty ABBRs.
Tidy, on the other hand, agrees with me and strips them out of the
document. As my implementation is dependant on output from Tidy, I
can't currently pass test 30.

So the burning question - which W3C tool is right? HTML Validator, or
HTML Tidy?

drew.