[uf-dev] $PRODID$ normalization [was: hCard test 30...]

Dan Connolly connolly at w3.org
Wed Jun 21 10:49:43 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 12:37 -0500, brian suda wrote:
> Any application that is using the Test Suite will have different PRODIDs
> and different SOURCE values. So in the test suites we used $PRODID$
> which is replaced by the string in the /bin/test-xlstproc.pl so you can
> customize it for your applications output.
>
> We are DIFF'ing the output from xsltproc (or other applications) to the
> .vcf files. If someone uses their own application it will have a
> different string for the value of PRODID, so instead of hard-coding a
> valued in the .vcf files and then during DIFF throwing errors, we used a
> variable $PRODID$ which is swapped out so the diff doesn't fail.
>
> does that make more sense?

Well, no. Why not just take the output of x2v and change
the PRODID line, and then do the diff against the expected
results? Why should test-xlstproc.pl change when x2v change?

In Edinburgh, Ryan gave an answer that made sense to me at
the time, but I either can't remember it or am no longer
convinced by it. It had something to do with encouraging
implementations to spit out some PRODID, and not just
skipping the property altogether.

>  maybe we are talking about two different
> things? I'll be around on IRC <abbr title="2006-06-21">today</abbr> that
> might clear-up any confusion faster.

Yeah... here's hoping...

> -brian

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E