[uf-dev] implied-n: what's in a name?

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Jun 26 09:23:26 PDT 2006

On 6/26/06 8:48 AM, "Drew McLellan" <lists at allinthehead.com> wrote:

> The first implied-n optimisation rule states:
>
>> The content of "FN" is broken into two "words" separated by
> whitespace.
>
> My question is - what's a word? Obviously whitespace delimits a word,
> but is any non-whitespace value permitted? How about punctuation and
> numbers?

No.  Just whitespace.  This is explicit in the spec:

http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard#Implied_.22n.22_Optimization

 two words (separated by whitespace)

 two "words" separated by whitespace

If you see any wording that is ambiguous in the spec, please let me know!

> An example I just ran across is fn="Sarah-Jane Smith". Am I safe to
> imply n from that?

Yes.  This is precisely why I defined "two words" as separated by whitespace
in the spec.  Many names have punctuation in the middle, and rarely (if
ever?) does that punctuation serve to split/delimit the name into several
names.  When it does, the explicit "given-name" "additional-name" markup
MUST be used.

> So many questions! :)

Keep asking!

Drew, perhaps this question about "N", whitespace and punctuation in names
is deserving of adding to the hCard FAQ?

 http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-faq

Thanks,

Tantek