[uf-dev] The Microformat Test Suite

Chris Wanstrath chris at ozmm.org
Thu Jan 11 12:51:24 PST 2007

Hello gentlemen and ladies,

I have a swift little Ruby microformat parser which is not nearly
complete.  It's Good Enough for my purposes, but I need to know it can
work for other people and that the data structures I'm building are
proper.

So, the unit tests.  I brought this up to Ryan King offlist and he
pointed out that the hreview specs in the test suite all have
corresponding JSON files.  Which makes it really easy to get going,
but the problem is the other formats don't yet have JSON files -- the
hCard specs have vCards, hCalendar iCal, etc.

I'd love to help out by submitting JSON'd versions of specs.  It is
significantly simpler (and more reliable) for me (and probably most
developers) to parse JSON in Ruby than to write my own probably-sucks
vCard parser.

What I'd like to know is how other parser authors have been dealing
with testing against the official repository and if the intention is
to provide .json for all the specs (living alongside the vCards and
iCals, I imagine, not replacing them).

Cool, thanks all.

--
Chris Wanstrath