[uf-dev] problems with testcases

☻Mike Samuel msamuel at google.com
Tue Jan 16 10:16:09 PST 2007

I've been going over some unittests for extracting ICS from hcalendar
that Robert Bachmann pointed me at and I ran into a few places where I
disagree with the expected test results.

The tests I was looking at live at
http://hg.microformats.org/tests?cmd=manifest;manifest=8323e6e893f8f60ded243c97a060f4befd4a2b20;path=/hcalendar/

There seem to be a few problems
1) date and date-time properties missing VALUE=DATE and
VALUE=DATE-TIME.  I believe RFC-2445 only requires it for one of them
on.  See section 4.2.20.  Many examples in 2445 omit the value but
that is being addressed in a draft.
2) language omitted for X-WR-CALNAME.  Occurs in 15_calendar_xml_lang
and others.  The language is added to summary, location, and
description.  X-WR-CALNAME is an extension property so this isn't
required, but it is human readable.
3) calendar-del.ics is missing the location specified in calendar-del.html
4) calendar-fragment is missing a couple events.
5) use of semicolon to separate value from name instead of colon,
especially for the ORGANIZER property.  Occurs in
calendar-threeday-conference and others.
6) missing : after mailto in component-vevent-attendee-value
7) missing categories in component-vevent-del
8) unnecessary escaping of ; in content line values.  e.g. description
in component-vevent-description-value-in-subelements-2.  RFC 2425
defines a value as
    valuespec =  text-list
              / genericurl       ; from section 5 of RFC 1738
              / date-list
              / time-list
              / date-time-list
              / boolean
              / integer-list
              / float-list
              / iana-valuespec

   text-list = *TEXT-LIST-CHAR *("," *TEXT-LIST-CHAR)

   TEXT-LIST-CHAR = "\\" / "\," / "\n"
                  / <any VALUE-CHAR except , or \ or newline>
       ; Backslashes, newlines, and commas must be encoded.
       ; \n or \N can be used to encode a newline.
which neither requires nor allows escaping of semicolons.

If people agree that these are wrong, I can go ahead and come up with a patch.

Also, I think a few things are missing
1) I see no mention of TZIDs.  This occurs in many tests.  This isn't
a problem for non-repeating events since the date format allows a
timezone offset, but for anything with an RRULE, the event needs to
specify which timezone it repeats in if it might extend past a
daylight savings time transition.
2) I don't see any tests covering hcards, geos, or addr being used for
locations or attendees.  Is that not something I should be testing
for?

cheers,
mike