[uf-dev] hCard DoB -> calendar apps

Chris Casciano chris at placenamehere.com
Fri Mar 23 07:20:52 PST 2007

On Mar 23, 2007, at 9:04 AM, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> In message <A2C28C3D-39A7-413C-B6EA-34B99ECF53D1 at randomchaos.com>,
> Scott
> Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> writes

>> A third alternative would be to treat it as the responsibility (and
>> authority) of the publisher, who could markup the birthday as a
>> repeating event with hCalendar.
>
> I thought the order of priority was to have the work done:
>
>    1.   By the parser
>
>    2.   By the publisher
>
>    3.   By the user
>
> Isn't that one of the "principles"? If not, I think it should be.
>
> Consider it as:
>
>    1.   ~10 hour's work by the parser author, now (sorry, Mr Kaply!)
>
>    2.   ~10,000,000 hours work by publishers, for ever
>
>    3.   ~100,000,000 hours work by users, for ever
>
> Joking aside, do any parser authors have a view?

not a parser author, but you left out my scenario:

0. By the application consuming the parsed data

and.

0. ~0 hours of work for all involved because its a feature of
existing consumers of the parsed data.

Ultimately my feeling is that it could be a parser feature, wouldn't
really harm anything, but from a publishers standpoint authoring
birthdays everywhere as repeating events seems to be counter to the
way one both thinks of a DOB as well as how a DOB would be typically
published... though my expectation of how a DOB might be published on
the web is quite limited [i'd almost think the opposite case of
seeing a calendar entry and being able to extract a good vcard from
it would happen more frequently]

--
[ Chris Casciano ]
[ chris at placenamehere.com ] [ http://placenamehere.com ]