[uf-dev] Finalizing jCard

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 01:25:34 PDT 2008

2008/4/14, Ben Ward <lists at ben-ward.co.uk>:
> On 12 Apr 2008, at 10:54, Gordon Oheim wrote:
>
> > the discussion about a standardized jCard output format seems to have
> slept in a bit - so I am here to revive it.

--- my first suggestion is not to call it jCard, but something more
like JSON output of vCard or JSON to hCard mapping. As Ben said
earlier, if we start using jCard, then we'll have xCard, aCard,
pCard... all meaningless words. The same json mappings we make for
hCard will be effective for hCalendar, hReview, etc. so the
terminology should reflect this.

>  I think it's somewhat premature to suggest that we're 'pretty much done
> with' the specs.

--- i am not a JSON expert, so i can't weigh in on specifics, but
here's what i would suggest to help move things along.

Have a look at the current test suite. It has HTML and .vcf/.ics
output for the pages.
http://hg.microformats.org/tests

We should also create a .json output as well. Then we can have a
better point of discussion around real examples. This will help
clear-up any outstanding issues and at the same time give various
developers something to test their own code against.

>  Any attempt to standardise the object model of microformats is going to
> need their assistance, and they're also amongst the most experienced working
> with parsing. It's important they're give an opportunity to raise their own
> issues before this work gets pushed into finalisation.

--- i think the sample .json output from the tests will really help.
Without that, it is difficult to discuss exact parsing rules and
expected behaviours.

-brian

--
brian suda