[uf-dev] Microformat Object Models (was: Finalizing jCard)

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Tue Apr 15 06:42:35 PDT 2008

On 15 Apr 2008, at 13:57, Brian Suda wrote:
>> I would say that there exists no such function g() which allows for
>> jCard -
>> or anything *like* jCard - to be defined in those terms, thus it is
>> justified to dedicate effort into defining jCard explicitly.
>
> --- the other thing i think we are hung-up on is solving the JSON
> representation for a single format. We have several design patterns to
> map VCF/ICS data to HTML, the class design pattern, the rel-design
> pattern and others. IMHO This is the best way forward to map
> Microformatted HTML to JSON in a similar manner, through patterns -
> not specific formats. Lets not worry about XYZ format mapping to JSON,
> we should look at a mf2json() mapping.

•• Defining ‘jCard’ explicitly is a perfectly valid effort, but
within the microformats community — — where we're working within the
scope of HTML —— the focus is to solve the problem of parsers
producing inconsistent output, hence my emphasis on this being the
‘hCard Object Model’ (vis a vis the DOM, CSS OM). My view is that If
that effort produces a defined vCard in JSON format as well then so be
it, but for me, the lack of a vCard->JSON format is not the problem
itself.

• Object Model consistency needs to be fixed for all other
microformats, too, which gives weight to Brian's generic approach. If
a set of generic parsing rules and patterns is robust enough and can
be documented tightly enough to be implemented, then it's probably the
way to go.  Should we perhaps be looking to better define the data
types at a schema level, which then map to parsing rules?

To Glenn Jones: You said you might have an example of the kind of
model documentation you'd like to implement against. Were you able to
find any examples of this?