[uf-dev] Proper use of value

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 09:57:21 PDT 2008

2008/4/22, Mike Kaply <microformats at kaply.com>:
> For the record, other parsers do this differently - they trim all
>  whitespace (even in values).

--- we should certainly try to get them inline and decide on a single
way to do this.

>  What's I'm looking for is the definitive answer as to what the "right
>  thing" to do is. There are a ton of edge cases that are simply poorly
>  defined within the microformats spec.

--- i can't give you a definitive answer, but i think and parse any
class="value" and do NOT trim white-space, but i do collapse it. Value
is something extra that the user adds, so i take the assumption they
know what they are doing and that they meant to include that space. (i
do think i reduce multiple spaces, tabs, returns to a single space - i
need to confirm this)

There was/is also some parsers that intentionally ADD a space, i would
say that this is incorrect.

If we add this to the wiki as an issue, hopefully we can document a
correct answer in some form, that way we have a reference for parser
updates.

-brian

--
brian suda