[uf-dev] Proper use of value

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Tue Apr 22 13:38:47 PDT 2008

Manu Sporny wrote:

> Just my $0.02 on this - we had a very involved discussion (lasting
> several months) when tackling this problem at the W3C with regards to
> how to do whitespace canonicalization  in RDFa. In the end, we stated
> that the parser should keep the original text as is (including all
> whitespace), and it's up to the application to normalize spaces in
> a way
> that makes sense to the application.

Unfortunately for some microformats, the parser *needs* to know about
white space. The example which springs to mind is N-optimisation in
hCard. This:

is parsed as:

	FN:JohnDoe
	NICKNAME:JohnDoe

Whereas this:

is parsed as:

	FN:John Doe
	N:Doe;John

In RDF terms, the white space in the object literal effects the
choice of predicate. So it is important to know how white space
should be interpreted, at least in some situations.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>