[uf-dev] Defining and Extending Value Excepting

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Thu May 22 03:22:03 PDT 2008

OK, pushing on a bit:

I've got one flaw with my own suggestion here, which is that using
class="value" is going to cause a bit of car-crash in hCard, due to
the two instances of machine-data identified in the tel property
(documented on the wiki page <http://microformats.org/wiki/machine-
data>). The type property works alongside the other specified use of
value, whilst it's possible for the value itself to need a hidden data
value. In combination with this new value-pattern, we could end up
with mark-up like:

         Mobile Phone
          +1-555-FORMATS

That's… messy. Value of Value is especially unpleasant, parsing the
value of tel without parsing the value of type as the value of tel
strikes me as complex (although, with value-excerpting itself not
fully spec'd, maybe it could be made to work).

So I'm suggesting one quick alteration here, which is to use a
class=data rather than class=value, so as to avoid the example above.
I'm thinking this from a publisher point of view as much as anything;
I'd like to avoid that above scenario of nesting the same class for
different behaviours.

Once again, more feedback on the pattern from a parsing angle would be
great. I'd like to be confident that the pattern is robust and
parsable before presenting it to µf-discuss; I don't want to lose it
in a maelstrom :-)

Thanks,

Ben