[uf-dev] The correct format of a ISO date

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri May 23 12:54:58 PDT 2008

On [May 23], at [ May 23] 1:20 , Toby A Inkster wrote:

> The confusion is due to the fact that there are three editions of
> ISO 8601:

The datetime design pattern page [1] in the wiki says:

"Any microformat using the date-time-design pattern should use a
profile of ISO8601. There are currently two widely used profiles which
should be reused.
- RFC 3339
- W3C Note on Datetimes"

That seems to clear this up, but then there's more confusing language
on the ISO 8601 page:

"Microformats should use RFC 3339."

In addition to being more specific than the previous recommendation,
this one applies RFC 2119 "should" to the microformat itself rather
than implementors of the microformat, which doesn't make much sense.
Further confusing matters, individual microformats make no mention of
RFC 3339, referring only to ISO 8601.  We should probably clarify the
actual source(s) for date formats before we spend too much time
testing them.

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/datetime-design-pattern
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/iso-8601

Peace,