[uf-dev] JavaScript authoring tools initiative

Simon Jobling mail at simonjobling.com
Mon Jul 6 15:10:05 PDT 2009

What a great idea Drew.

I think the biggest hurdle we've got with Microformats is getting Joe Public
to understand the purpose and get publishing the data in the correct manner.
Unfortunately, the tools we tend to develop for our customers make it
difficult for the users to do so, especially when integrating "rich text
editors" in our web forms.
If we can integrate a plugin which extends frameworks like TinyMCE and the
like, you'll be on to a winner.

It seems the biggest question is how best to offer such
tools. For example, the user will probably be more familiar with the
concept of adding a calendar event or business card so offer those
bundles. This would provoke a dialog box to show the necessary and
optional fields to create the relative Microformats.

I'll be happy to contribute any thoughts to this project but my JS knowledge
probably isn't up to scratch with the rest of the group.

Cheers,
Si
--

Simon Jobling