[microformats-discuss] Repeating cal events?

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Aug 1 00:25:08 PDT 2005

On 7/26/05 5:13 PM, "Dr. Ernie Prabhakar" <drernie at opendarwin.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Any suggestions on how best to represent the following recurring event?

I'll take a look.

> from 12:10 pm - 12:50 pm every other Thursday for 34 weeks, starting
> June 23rd

I believe this would be the markup equivalent using hCalendar (note: this is
only a fragment of an event):

from
<abbr class="dtstart" title="20050623T121000">12:10 pm</abbr> -
<abbr class="duration" title="PT40M">12:50 pm</abbr>
<abbr class="rrule" title="FREQ=WEEKLY;COUNT=17;INTERVAL=2;BYDAY=TH"> every
other Thursday for 34 weeks</abbr>,
starting June 23rd

Let me break it down.

 FREQ=WEEKLY -->  "every ..."
 INTERVAL=2 --->  "... other"
 BYDAY=TH   -->   "Thursday"
 COUNT=17   -->   "...for 34 weeks" (after you multiple count*interval).

> I presume it is something like FREQ=WEEKLY*2, but I don't know enough
> iCalendar to figure it out,

Repeating rules are quite challenging to figure out.  It took me a few
minutes with RFC2445 to do so.

Note that since you didn't specify a timezone, I made the time "floating" so
that it would be from 12:10pm-12:50pm no matter which time zone you were in.

It would be interesting what kind of RRULE a supporting calendar UA produces
when that meeting is entered into the user interface.

> much less translate it into hCalendar.

The nice thing is, once you have the rrule figured out, there is usually a
convenient chunk of text like "every ... " which can be marked up with the
appropriate <abbr class="rrule"> with the rrule value in the title
attribute.

Thanks,

Tantek