[microformats-discuss] Microformats and the Semantic Web

Bud Gibson bud at thecommunityengine.com
Wed Aug 10 07:55:00 PDT 2005

My observation is that accessibility engenders adoption.

The nice thing about microformats is that, while they sacrifice a lot
of representational power, they maintain the valuable core
proposition of representing data in familiar markup constructs.
People familiar with the standard html toolset look at that and say
to themselves, "I can at least attempt it".  I'm not sure as many
people say that when confronted with RDF.

In some not very precise way, I see microformats as being to RDF what
CSS is to XSLT.  Microformats will be adequate for many, and some,
having cut their teeth on microformats may move to the next level
(which for both XSLT and RDF actually means being willing to adopt a
whole new mindset).

On the microformats end, I'm convinced we need a hacks site to
collect dev problems and solutions.  I'll have more on this idea later.

Bud