[microformats-discuss] Re: a proposal for a microformat for weblog entries

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Aug 11 05:05:09 PDT 2005

On 8/11/05 4:50 AM, "David Janes -- BlogMatrix" <davidjanes at blogmatrix.com>
wrote:

> Tantek,
>
> 1. I am trying to use upon myself, plus I have a thousand+ active blogs
> upon which I can fairly test theories and iterations upon with
> disrupting normal day to day operations

Excellent.

Let me ask this then, have you tried first adopting the already established
microformats within your blog to gain a better understanding of what
additional pieces you need?

> 2. There are a number of intended uses, the first coming to mind is
> something like reblg (http://reblg.com/developer), which is why included
> the proponents of that format in the mailout (to find out if I'm
> covering too much ground that they've done, are these compatible, does
> this make rebloging easier). More generally, I'm working on a
> greasemonkey project that will tie the identification of microformats
> (including this one) into a series of URI actions, such as reblogging,
> sending the link to something like del.ico.us, etc..

Then it sounds like at least the *concepts* are worthy of discussing on the
microformats-discuss list (cc'd).

Like I said, this is something that *many* folks have worked on already, so
I suggest doing some additional background research.

For example, there have been some thoughts written here:

 http://microformats.org/wiki/blog-post-formats
 http://microformats.org/wiki/blog-description-format

> I'm not planning to waste anyone's time on this, nor am I asking for
> anyone's upfront commitments, blood oaths, or whatever: I'm entirely
> content to play with this ideas

Playing with ideas is strongly encouraged.  It's typically much more
productive than simply talking about them.  So you're on the right track
there.

> I am asking for feedback, comments, pointers to previous or
> ongoing work in this area and giving a heads up to people that may be
> interested in case this stuff actually works out or is treading on
> anyone's toes.

Excellent.  I think you will certainly get it.  There's definitely at least
a few other people on the microformats-discuss list who are interested in
researching/pursuing a microformat for blog entries.

So far, everyone who is interested is trying out different variations on
their own blogs and learning from the experience.

Hope that helps,

Tantek