[microformats-discuss] Re: intro

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Aug 14 12:00:05 PDT 2005

On 8/14/05 7:00 AM, "Brian Suda" <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> While there is some overlap between the reviews and bibliographical
>>> data,
>>> they still are very different things in my oppinion. For a
>>> bibliographical
>>> reference you need fields like: title, authors, publisher, year,
>>> edition,
>>> pages, ...
>>
>> I can see why you'd want to publish this data, but I don't think a
>> review is the right place for this data, because you can't really
>> *assert* these datums?
>>
>> I think a URL should be enough to identify a book, but I know
>> there'll be some here who disagree with me.
>
> I would agree that a Bibliographic Microformat WOULD be helpful. When
> citing publications that are ONLY in print there is no URL to
> references. Plus, there is extra data that is not always represented
> in a URL, such as Page Number, Issue, etc.

Right a citation is actually very different from a review, and even although
a review could be said to contain a citation to the item being reviewed, in
practice, the two are very different.

Rohit actually hosted a "real-time" brainstorming session at WWW2005 to
develop a citation microformat that he loosely named "hCite".

Rohit, do you have your notes from that, and could you post them on the
wiki?

> A good place to start with
> this sort of data would be to model it after BibTeX references, they
> have been around for a long time and are pretty solid.

I encourage you to start this page with your background research and
formats:

 http://microformats.org/wiki/cite-formats

> This is something i would be interested in helping with creating. The
> Wiki is a good place to start drafting such a format and getting other
> people´s input.

Right. Start that wiki page.  Put down your name as an author or as someone
interested, document what you think the purpose is, start listing current
examples of actual usage on the web, and existing standards that attempt to
solve the problem.

Thanks,

Tantek