[microformats-discuss] re: Microformat for timestamp of updated content

Mark Rickerby coretxt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 06:02:47 PDT 2005

> If some people would use 'class="last-modified"' to mark up the last
> modifcation of a page, and other people would use
> 'class="last-modified"' to mark up the last modification of an
> item/entry how could parsers recognize if the whole page or a specific
> item is meant?

It depends what problem the parser is trying to solve (hopefully not
some mythic general case, because that would be a nightmare). The
nesting of container elements should go some way into making such a
distinction relatively recognizable.

For example...

     <abbr class="last-modified" title="[ISO8601datetime]">22 Aug</abbr>
  <abbr class="last-modified" title="[ISO8601datetime]">23 Aug</abbr>

Individual article dates can be recognized here because of the parent
article elements, thus the later date would clearly belong to the page
content itself.

Though I don't know why an author would want to display dates like
this unless there was substantial content on the page in addition to
the list of articles.

Regards,
Mark