[uf-discuss] draft blog post on rel vs. rev

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Thu Dec 1 17:47:01 PST 2005

I sometimes mail draft blog posts around to select people for review.
In an experiment on openness and collaboration, I'm gonna try the
whole list this time. Apologies for the markup, which may be tough to
read. Any (constructive) comments welcome. If I hear nothing I'll
post it later tonight.

----
Title: Rel vs. Rev

styling/">started awhile back</a>.</p>

the difference bettween the <a href="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/
struct/links.html#adef-rel">rel</a> and <a href="http://www.w3.org/TR/
REC-html40/struct/links.html#adef-rev">rev</a> attributes. Its
understandable that most people don't grasp the difference, as I'm
sure most webdevelopers haven't needed to make use of these
semantics.</p>

define the relationship between the linked document and the current
one. So, a very common example is a link to a feed. This blog has:</p>

<pre><code>&lt;link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml"
title="RSS 2.0" href="http://www.microformats.org/feed/" /&gt;</
code></pre>

(Incidentally, the feed could link to this blog with
<code>rev="alternate"</code>, which would have <a href="http://
www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/links.html#h-12.3.1">exactly the same

xfn/">XFN</a>, <a href="http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag">rel-
tag</a>, <a href="http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-directory">rel-
directory</a> and <a href="http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-
payment">rel-payment</a> microformats.</p>

relationship is reversed (I think of rev as "reverse relationship").
It get used in the <a href="http://microformats.org/wiki/vote-
links">vote-links</a> microformat like this:</p>

<pre><code>
&lt;a href="http://supr.c.ilio.us/blog/" rev="vote-for" title="supr
snark"&gt;supr.c.ilio.us rocks!&lt;/a&gt;
</code></pre>

http://supr.c.ilio.us/blog/".</p>

two resources on the web. Remember, it is only the relationship
between the documents, not the documents themselves which are
described.</p>