[uf-discuss] RFC: Proposal for general purpose microformat

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Fri Dec 2 14:19:12 PST 2005

Hi Abramo,

On Dec 2, 2005, at 1:54 PM, Abramo Bagnara wrote:
> Can we reach an agreement that to use a "namespace" for microformats
> specific classes is a good thing?

That is an interesting question.  I know that Rohit has been asking
that same question.  The conventional answer is that microformat
classes *are* in fact the same classes you'd be using for normal CSS
styling, so there's no need to call them out -- and besides,
namespaces tend to confuse mere mortals.

Is that the right answer?  I don't know.  I haven't yet heard a fully
convincing counter-argument, but there may be one.

To your example:

> With hCalendar I'm forced to this abbr abuse:

>   <abbr class="role" title="opt-participant"></abbr>
>   <a class="cn" href="mailto:abramobagnara at tin.it">Abramo Bagnara</a>
>   <abbr class="role" title="opt-participant"></abbr>
>   <a class="cn" href="litabanelli at racine.ra.it">Licia Tabanelli</a>
>
> while with my proposal I can do the following:

> <abbr title="opt-participant">Optional partecipants</abbr>
>   <a class="xx:@cn xx:=@href"
> href="mailto:abramobagnara at tin.it">Abramo
> Bagnara</a>
>   <a class="xx:@cn xx:=@href" href="litabanelli at racine.ra.it">Licia
> Tabanelli</a>

Forgive me if I'm a little slow, but I'm unclear about i) where the
problem is, and ii) how your version is any clearer. That use of
'title' and 'abbr' seems exceedingly odd.  Why can't hCalendar
already just do:

<h2><abbr class="role" title="opt-participant">Optional participants</
abbr></h2>:
<a class="attendee cn url" href="mailto:abramobagnara at tin.it">Abramo
Bagnara</a>
<a class="attendee cn url" href="litabanelli at racine.ra.it"> Licia
Tabanelli </a>

Am I completely misunderstanding how role and opt-participant are
supposed to be used?  Is the problem that hCalendar wants 'opt-
participant' to be a visible key with class 'role' rather than
invisible one?

-- Ernie P.