[uf-discuss] rel-tag for hierarchical categories

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri Dec 2 23:03:06 PST 2005

Kevin Marks wrote:

>> Now I want it to make sense of a hierarchical category system:
>> <a
>> href="http://members.optusnet.com.au/benjamincarlyle/benjamin/blog/
>> software/httpsubscription">software/httpsubscription</a>
>>
>> I think the current proposal would tag this as
>> "software/httpsubscription", when in fact it really means two tags:
>> "software"+"httpsubscription".
>
> No, it would tag it as 'httpsubscription'
> Tagspaces are defined to be flat.

Note that dot ('.') makes a decent hierarchy marker with no required
change for flat tag systems.  Foxilicious [1] uses dot as a default
delimiter for converting from the (mostly) flat tag space at
del.icio.us to the hierarchy of Firefox's bookmarks.  So you could do:

<a
href="http://members.optusnet.com.au/benjamincarlyle/benjamin/blog/
software.httpsubscription">software/httpsubscription</a>

Some parsers will still treat that as a single tag, but others will
treat it as a hierarchy, and even in those systems treating it as a
single tag, I think "software.httpsubscription" suggests a hierarchy
to many humans.

Peace,
Scott

[1] http://dietrich.ganx4.com/foxylicious/