[uf-discuss] rel-tag for hierarchical categories

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Sat Dec 3 09:13:37 PST 2005

Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

>> Some parsers will still treat that as a single tag, but others
>> will treat it as a hierarchy, and even in those systems treating
>> it as a single tag, I think "software.httpsubscription" suggests a
>> hierarchy to many humans.
>
> It won't be cool for those people who use system that don't see the
> hierarchy.

I'm not sure what you mean by "won't be cool."  It doesn't break any
functionality as far as I can tell, and successfully adds
functionality for systems that support it (e.g. Foxylicious).  People
are already using parent.child syntax for tags [1] [2], and it seems
to be working just fine.

> Why not use two links:

> blog/software">software</a>/<a href="http://members.optusnet.com.au/
> benjamincarlyle/benjamin/blog/software/
> httpsubscription">httpsubscription</a>

You could, but that doesn't give leave any indication that
httpsubscription is meant as a subset of software.  Not particularly
important in this case, but "politics.green" is quite different from
"construction.green" or "color.green".

Peace,
Scott

[1] http://technorati.com/tag/food.cooking