[uf-discuss] Microformat Base

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Sun Dec 4 11:29:33 PST 2005

Tantek Çelik wrote:

> Consider adding hReview as well!

I did that.  I also cleared out all the data and changed it so it
doesn't follow links from sites with no microformats, in an attempt
to limit the scope a bit. Turns out I don't have the storage space to
catalog every URL on the web.  Anything not connected to
microformats.org via pages containing microformats can still be added
manually, and I made a simple submission form for that [1].

Craig Ogg wrote:

> On 12/1/05, Scott Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> wrote:
>> I thought I'd go ahead and play around with a microformat-based
>> alternative to Google Base.  So far, I have a basic spider that I set
>> loose from microformats.org to slowly wander the web.  When it finds
>> any known microformat-associated class names, it records the data
>> which can then be searched here:
>
> This is very cool, but I don't think it is really an alternative to
> Google Base.

I don't think it's a viable alternative myself.  I wrote in my
weblog: "One suggestion, popular - of course - among the microformats
community, was that Google could use microformats to remove the need
for submission to their base and leverage the distributed nature of
the web. Personally, I suspect there's just not enough microformatted
content out there yet to make it worth Google's cycles parsing
it." [2].  But I thought it better to try and prove myself wrong with
some code than to just speculate about it.

Peace,
Scott

[1] http://www.randomchaos.com/microformats/base/
[2] http://weblog.randomchaos.com/archive/2005/11/30/Microformat_Base/