[uf-discuss] Microformat Base

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 01:30:38 PST 2005

Hello,

On 12/5/05, Chris Messina <chris.messina at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/4/05, Scott Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> wrote:
>
> > Personally, I suspect there's just not enough microformatted
> > content out there yet to make it worth Google's cycles parsing
> > it." [2].  But I thought it better to try and prove myself wrong with
> > some code than to just speculate about it.
>
> Um, why are we waiting for Google? I mean, besides technorati, aren't
> microformats kind of the next frontier for "smart" search engines?
>
> The "web as distributed database" sounds pretty damn appealing to me.

If you want to search all of it, and want to do it in a reasonable
amount of time, indexing helps.  (Doesn't matter if the database is
distributed or not.)  (You could always use distributing indexing if
you wanted though.  I don't know how much existing usage it has on the
web though... but it is certainly doable.)

Also, you don't need to wait for anyone... but it will take some
effort when you deal with data sets of those sizes.  Dealing with
scalability issues with live systems can be an effort too.  (And can
sometimes be a pain.  I just finished a huge project to improve
scalability on a live system that didn't go completely smoothly,... so
I feel for anyone who's had to deal with this.)

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.

    charles @ reptile.ca