[uf-discuss] Goods and Products microformat

kenny heaton kennyheaton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 09:47:49 PST 2005

I work for a hardware manufacturer and as I think about microformats
and how to use them, one of the first things that comes to mind is a
way do describe our products. I've searched around a bit and haven't
found any examples of a standard way to describe
goods/products/merchandise and feel this would be very valuable. I did
find this on using RSS to syndicate a catalog of items which I see as
a good next step after there is a way to describe individual items.

http://ifindkarma.typepad.com/relax/2004/07/catablog.html

The way I see it there are two approaches; a format for generally
describing anything and everything form houses to pin-cushions, or a
format for each type of product (example, a house description format,
a car discretion format, etc..)

Since there is now way to keep up with the amount things that there
are to describe, I think having a general format is a good idea. I
know general considered bad, and specific is better so I would
appreciate feed back on this thought, but I can't think of any other
way to allow someone to describe the what-cha-ma-call-it they just
invented. I also think that specific formats for describing common
things is needed, so someone can easily compare two DVD players for
example. So things like houses, cars, electronics etc.. might have a
more specific microformat derived form the genial product format, that
describes them more specifically.

My first thoughts are that most all product have a set of basic
information in common: a name, a summary including a description of
use, a list of specific features, manufacturer or re-seller name, and
copyright or legal information.

These are just my first thoughts, and I feel there is a real need for
this, but I would love to hear what others think, or if anyone know of
something along these lines.

Kenny