[uf-discuss] Almost UMP:xFolk Supported

David Janes -- BlogMatrix davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Thu Dec 8 08:06:51 PST 2005

C. Hudley wrote:
> On 12/8/05, David Janes -- BlogMatrix <davidjanes at blogmatrix.com> wrote:
>> "@uri" and in fact "@anything" are little pieces of information the
>> parser has picked up among the way, not necessarily part of the uF. In
>> this particular case, it's the uri of the page being parsed.
>
> It would be nice to be able to pick up per-microobject URIs, should
> they be specified.
>

>> There's another I added this morning, called '@index' which allows the
>> uF element to be corresponded to the parsed version. For example,
>> '@id=vevent-3'means that the 3rd element with "vevent" in the class
>> attribute is the one that was parsed.
>
> That's very helpful!

Especially for some apps I'm working on :-)

>>> Over on gcs-pcs-list we've been talking about a simplification of the
>>> COinS spec when simply indicating what-the-identifier-is, which is
>>> (obviously) rather lost inside the OpenURL ContextObject inside the
>>> span.  Lately we've considered instead just using "class='uri'" and a
>>> URI in a title or as the textnode content.  I'm experimenting with
>>> something like this in the canary database as well.
>> How about rel="bookmark" (i.e. rel-bookmark) Not only is it used in
>> hAtom, it's also part of the HTML spec [1]
>
> As I understand it, rel="bookmark" implies that identified items
> are/have directly resolvable http URLs.  In our use cases the URIs
> often include not-directly-resolvable URNs, such as those constructed
> using the recently registered "info" URN namespace id (e.g. ISBNs or
> DOIs... and "just point to amazon or the DOI foundation" is not a
> sufficient solution :).
>
> I'd presume - perhaps incorrectly - that most applications parsing
> rel="bookmark" items would in turn assume that they are http-locatable
> URLs.  This is certainly the case in hAtom, where it's specified as
> such (unless I misunderstand the concept of "permalinks").  If that's
> the case, then this wouldn't work.

Yeah, rel-bookmark assumes that the given URI will resolve to a copy of
the microformat/microcontent enclosed.

Maybe this concept [1] from hCard would be useful?

Regards, etc...
David

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-examples#3.6.7_UID_Type_Definition