[uf-discuss] How to Announce the Availability of New Media Content with uf?

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Mon Dec 12 22:45:47 PST 2005

On Dec 12, 2005, at 5:59 AM, Jeff Harrington wrote:

> I've been thinking and researching for a solution to a problem
> independent artists have on the web.  Because of the loss of the
> MP3.COM community, and the diaspora of OMD's online musicians have
> been dispersed and now find themselve unable to easily 'announce'
> their new works to other music creators and consumers.
> I've proposed at my blog, htttp://beepsnort.org a use of
> del.iciou.us tags to help in this process - (A Proposal for
> Announcing New Music Recordings on the Nethttp://beepsnort.org/
> archives/000402.html) but now I'm beginning to think that
> microformats might be needed in order to additionally create a
> discovery phase of this announcement process.  Also, my use of the
> example, mp3_classical_contemporary tag, would probably eventually
> lead to an over-abundance of announcements and pseudo-announcements
> as the community began using it.  (Admittedly its a hack approach
> but does auto-generate podcasts hehe).
> Is there an implicit announcement mechanism built in already that
> I'm missing?

Weblog.com style ping servers would be an example of technology that
does notification. But I have a feeling you are concerned with
technical notification, but with a more human type of notification.
As is, I don't think there's a web-wide way to do this, you still
gotta pound the pavement.

Also, as I'm sure you know, µf's are modeled after existing user
behavior. So it might be worthwhile to see what artists are already
doing to promote themselves and start there.

> Any research projects about how to 'announce'?  I'm looking for
> practical solutions for the thousands of online musicians.
> I'm thinking at the moment of tying in my del.icio.us tag
> announcement with a discovery mechanism through uf's.  If I trigger
> the discovery by an email list I think only spam will result.
> Any ideas or suggestions?

-ryan

--
Ryan King