[uf-discuss] How to Announce the Availability of New Media Content with uf?

Jeff Harrington jeff at parnasse.com
Tue Dec 13 08:44:09 PST 2005

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> On Dec 13, 2005, at 5:52 AM, Jeff Harrington wrote:
>
>>> Also, as I'm sure you know, µf's are modeled after existing user
>>> behavior. So it might be worthwhile to see what artists are
>>> already  doing to promote themselves and start there.
>>>
>> Well, since I invented this whole 'internet musician thing' ;)   I'll
>> ask myself what I would do.  Heheh...
>

> Actually, you might want to check out MySpace, which I'm told is
> *the* place to find new music (and be found) for the younger set.
> The model they've evolved uses friendster-style mailing lists and
> easy forwarding to push information out into a community.  I strongly
> suspect something like this will become the dominant model in the
> future...

Not to be too off topic for too long, but coincidentally just got an
email commenting on my music from a classical conductor to my MySpace
account.  It's amazing how this contact would have been problematic,
party or serendiptious dependant, if not for MySpace.  The big problem
with the MySpace network re discovery of music is the limitation to 4
'songs'.  For this reason it serves as nice bait, but is no replacement
for a good musician site either independant or through an OMD.

FWIW, looks like the XSPF format will be fine as the data source for an
XML-RPC ping server for the announce.  Now just have to write set it up,
and write a little front end to easily allow for submits (like the
audio.weblogs.com podcast submit page).   XSPF has an implied discovery
URL too, in the info tag.  I'm a little troubled by how the format has
an implied multiplicity, but that's a good thing too for net albums.

Thanks for all your comments; I hope to have something operational this
weekend...

Jeff
http://jeffharrington.org