[uf-discuss] Relevant tags in hReview

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Thu Dec 15 16:23:27 PST 2005

On Dec 15, 2005, at 2:46 PM, Vinay Pulim wrote:

> Quoting Ryan King <ryan at technorati.com>:
>
>>> That is, should rating tags show up  alongside item tags
>>> when an hReview is displayed?
>>
>> Honestly, this is up to you. If you think it makes sense to show
>> them  together, go for it.
>>
>> The two kinds of tags are subtly different, but not so different
>> that  you can't collapse them, if you wanted to.
>
> I understand.  Without any standard markup to differentiate between
> the two uses
> of the reltag,

Huh? You mean this isn't differentiable:

from this:

<a rel="tag" href="http://your-favorite-tagspace.com/Awesome">Awesome!
</a>

? Or maybe I'm not understanding you.

> the parser would have to make some assumptions when inferring the
> reltag's target.

If by target, you mean "what the tag is tagging," then yes, you may
need to make some assumptions. However, this is the case with rel-tag
pretty much everywhere.

> Perhaps we could tie rating specific tags into the new rating
> format suggested
> in an earlier thread for hReview 0.3:

> On Fred's <span class="best">4</span><a href="http://
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICBM"
> rel="tag">ICBM</a> scale, I give this a <span
> class="value">2</span>.
>
> From this structure, it is clear that the tag "ICBM" is referring
> to the rating
> and not the item.

I don't think we gain anything by adding another layer of nesting here.

> Anyway, thanks for your response Ryan.  I'll just assume all tags
> refer to the
> item for now.

No problem.

-ryan