[uf-discuss] Re: [Structuredblogging-discuss] microformat for books in a library catalog

Edward Summers ehs at pobox.com
Mon Dec 19 21:23:54 PST 2005

We've actually been throwing around some of these on the wiki:

	http://microformats.org/wiki/cite
	http://microformats.org/wiki/cite-brainstorming
	http://microformats.org/wiki/cite-examples

MARC, or MARC21 as it is known after the harmonization of USMARC and
CAN/MARC is a nasty old format from the early 1970s, and not at all
suited to being represented as semantic HTML imho. MODS [1] is a
reworking of MARC with more meaningful element names and an XML
syntax--but it is still relatively complicated, largely because it's
an outgrowth of MARC itself.

There is quite a bit of interest in the library community in getting
a microformat established for citations. Given its deployment in
libraries around the world I think that the xml encoding for openurl
[2] represents a well trodden path for encoding citation data in
HTML. It also could lend itself to some really interesting remixing
in blogs where browser extensions extract citations and fire them off
at licensed library databases, your local public library, amazon, a
citation manager, etc.

If there is interest I think we could knock out a draft citation
microformat using the key/encoded-value names from openurl [3] in
fairly short order.

//Ed (another)

[1] http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/
[2] http://www.niso.org/committees/committee_ax.html
[3] http://alcme.oclc.org/openurl/servlet/OAIHandler?
verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=oai_dc&set=Core:Metadata+Formats