[uf-discuss] hAtom draft - class="title"

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Dec 27 15:43:00 PST 2005

Paul,

You're right about the issue.

In general we should be avoiding vocabulary divergence or confusion wherever
possible.

This means working deliberately to avoid the two cardinal sins that
namespaces typical both enable and encourage:

1. The same term is used to mean two different things
2. Two terms are used to mean the same things

The current "established" microformats have avoided this problem by
essentially reusing from earlier microformats when possible, *before*
reusing from other standards.

E.g. hReview has reused a lot from hCard and hCalendar.

See http://microformats.org/wiki/existing-classes for an overview.

In the case of 'title', Paul is right.  hCard (by way of vCard) has defined
'title' to mean something in particular.

In the case of hReview, we used 'summary' from hCalendar to serve this
purpose.

Would it be possible to do so for hAtom as well?

Thanks,

Tantek