[uf-discuss] Book Citation Examples

Tim White tjameswhite at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 28 14:53:58 PST 2005

As an interest in the citation microformat and title design pattern I
mentioned previously[1], I've done a little research to see how
publishers are currently marking up book titles.

The results have been added to the citation examples page as Citation
Mark up in the Wild[2]

These are just a few examples from a handful of publishers' online
catalogs. A quick synopsis of the type of mark up being used:

For Titles:

* id="title" class="producttitle"
* class="title"
* id="lblTitle" class="book_headline block"
* table cell, no mark up
* h1
* h2

Sub-titles:

* id="subtitle" class="productsubtitle"
* class="sub_title"
* id="lblSubTitle" class="book_subline"
* class="subTitle"

I've also created a citations in the wild page[3] where I tried to
capture the pieces of each publisher's page. The wiki page needs a
bunch of clean up, and I may just post the examples on my site with
just a list of links to the publisher's sites. Let me know which you'd
prefer.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Tim White

[1] This may also be informative for the hAtom class="title"
discussion.
http://www.tjameswhite.com/blog/archives/2005/12/microformat-design-pattern/

[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/cite-examples

[3] http://microformats.org/wiki/citations_in_the_wild