[uf-discuss] hAtom draft - class="title"

Benjamin Carlyle benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au
Thu Dec 29 06:01:27 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 08:06 -0500, David Janes -- BlogMatrix wrote:
> I'm fairly happy with the way things are named in hAtom right now:
> anyone familiar with weblogs and/or Atom will immediately recognize all
> the elements. The one (so far) variance is rel="bookmark", which is
> defined in HTML so that's cool.
>
> I'm waiting for someone to express a stronger opinion or principle on
> how elements should be named, preferably with a reference to a Wiki page
> listing it. At this point, there's serious proposals to rename 75%+ of
> the elements in hAtom, which means hAtom won't look very Atomish at all!
> However, if there's a consensus, that's the way it goes.

I would back this with the observation that the atom standardisation
process suggests that the terms in use are widely accepted and
understood. Stepping away from them may be stepping into esoterica.

I understand that on one hand you want to maintain compatability with
existing implementations by protecting the current namespace. On the
other hand, you'll never have a smaller installed base than you do
today. Opacity might allow for a resolution, but using identified
scoping in that way has its own problems.

Unless an experienced microformatter is able to take a stand based on
solid experience, I don't think this will be solved via email.

--
Benjamin Carlyle <benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au>