[uf-discuss] hAtom and blog-post-* need some more work

Dr.Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Sat Dec 31 10:47:36 PST 2005

Hi David,

On Dec 31, 2005, at 9:58 AM, David Janes -- BlogMatrix wrote:
> I don't even have the slightest idea how to respond to this. I've been
> working on hAtom since August (hardly a rush), constantly soliciting
> feedback, documenting progress and descions, recently providing
> code, and so forth. Now suddenly a new there's some new microformat
> principles -- not appearing on the Wiki in any obvious place or
> (particularly) the process page.

I certainly affirm your efforts to play by the rules and solicit
input.  I think what Tantek may be reacting to was the perceived
pressure to "formalize" hAtom as an official microformat.  I think
you've done a fantastic job of documenting 'hAtom' per se, but there
are valid concerns about taking it to the next level.

> I have no issue renaming elements in hAtom, as long as there's a
> microformats process that I'm actually following -- something that
> I've
> seriously attempt to do since the second week I've been on this
> list. I'm assuming the process is driven by documentation and
> discussion, and not by personality.

I think Tantek's principles are useful, and I agree they should be on
the wiki.  Are they? I'm not sure:

>> Just because other standards keep inventing new terms for the same
>> thing,
>> doesn't mean we should.
>> We should actively AVOID inventing new terms for the same thing,
>> even if
>> those "new terms" come from other standards.

Thanks for all your efforts.

-- Ernie P.