[microformats-discuss] Extending the embedded information

Carl Beeth carl.beeth at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 15:03:08 PDT 2005

I'm very excited about the microformats, seems I have been looking for
something like this for ages. I Even found a old mail from 98 in the
w3c html discussion list where we talk along those lines.
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1998Apr/0016.html>

Although I am all for embedding semantics in web pages, I'm missing
one thing in the microformats: a way to semantically link to more
complete version of the information when one does not want to pollute
the page with all the information.

Here is an example from the site:
 <a class="url fn" href="http://tantek.com/">
  Tantek Çelik
 </a>

Now what if we wanted to have a to make more information available
with out necessarily displaying it in the web page. maybe something
like this:

 <a class="url fn" href="http://tantek.com/">
  Tantek Çelik
 </a>

The reason the class is important in on the link is that it allows the
user agent/crawler to identify what is behind the link. a possible
alternative would be to use type="text/vcard" but sadly I think they
are supposed to be mimetypes but could not find the mime type for
vcard

Does this make sense?

Carl