[microformats-discuss] Re: [Geowanking] geo microformat BOF session at Where 2.0

Bud Gibson bud at thecommunityengine.com
Thu Jul 7 08:59:23 PDT 2005

On Jul 7, 2005, at 10:38, Ryan King wrote:

> I think we are. However, its seems that we need to make
> accomodations for #2, as well as #1.

Let me challenge this.  My main observation is that there is a
difference with a tension.  #1 is providing a systematic interface
for humans and #2 is providing precise geo coordinates (street
addresses or "geometric" per the Tantek sense).  Would we be better
off with a divide and conquer strategy?  That's the question I mean
to raise.

>> The google maps search interface as one of the referents for the
>> location microformat.  Should we study in closer detail how that
>> interface works?
>>

> I'm not sure what you're talking about. Are you talking about the
> search interface? or the new Google maps api?

I'm talking about the search interface.  I think there is a lot to
learn there because that is what lots and lots of real users use.
It's how these people express location, or at least one semi-
systematic way here in the US.

Given this last observation, why couldn't I have a microformat for
expressing location that is like this:

1.  A tagging method based on the reltag standard, perhaps with an
extra "geo" class attribute value or some other way of indicating we
are talking about tagging a location.
2.  Tag values that are equivalent to search terms that produce
unique results in any one of a set of commercial search services.

Let's call this geotag, or if that name is taken, bdgeotag (brain
dead geotag).

That way, bumpkisses like me who are generally aware of city and
sometime street (almost always place name) would have a chance of
producing data that could go in there.  We could check whether we had
a legal value by using a search service.  You could even make a
geotag creator that had people do searches and once they were
satisfied slide the search term as a valid tag value into the geotag.

Some might object to the idea of using commercial search services.
Well, why not some interface to the Tiger database

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/

Like reltag, geotag could apply to the whole blog post or some
portion thereof as delineated by enclosing elements.