[microformats-discuss] Carl Beeth raises an interesting point

Bud Gibson bud at thecommunityengine.com
Fri Jul 8 08:45:03 PDT 2005

On Jul 8, 2005, at 10:49, Tantek Çelik wrote:

> Carl, Bud, do you have an implementation that we can try out to
> actually see
> the problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tantek

Tantek:

I don't think this is an anti-design pattern as Carl actually raised
the point relative to a problem he was having.  So, I present that to
you as the implementation issue.  There is also an implementation
issue oddly enough with reblg that sends microformats wherever you
want.  If you want to reblg a link, how does reblg know what is at
the end of the link prior to fetching it?

I understand your concern about getting lost in theoretical issues.
It seems like the likelihood of that happening with microformats is
very slight.  Basically, if you propose a microformat, and it falls
flat, then that's over.  You'll also note that the solution I propose
is very light weight.  It's meant to be a try it and fail fast idea.
I'm not sure what the fuss about "anti-design" patterns is in light
of these facts.  Concerns about anti-design are really concerns about
the cost of design mistakes, and those seem low here.

At the end, we may just be harboring different conceptions of what a
microformat is.  I tend to think of them as standardized but
frequently still experimental approaches to solving existing and
emerging problems.  You are not so keen on the emerging problems idea.

Thanks about the pointer to microformats-dev, a list that did not
seem to exist a week ago.

Bud