[microformats-discuss] Proposing RelSource

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 08:17:23 PDT 2005

On 7/11/05, Bud Gibson <bud at thecommunityengine.com> wrote:
> The cite *element* is visible.  Have a look at http://
> thecommunityengine.com/home.  The blockquote at the top uses a cite
> element.  Put an <a> inside of that for the link.  I know that
> technorati and other search engines pick those up.

Okay, I see what you mean. That works for folks who do quote sources
and use the cite element with an anchor and that /is/ the most
semantically correct way to do that with existing markup. In my
travels I have not seen people crediting sources that way.

In many cases (http://scoble.weblogs.com/
http://www.blogherald.com/2005/07/11/cubans-blogging-hurricane-dennis/)
sources are not quoted at all but a plain link is provided. Other
times (http://www.ioerror.us/2005/07/10/have-some-manners-will-ya/)
the source link is included but not defined.

RelSource would instantly tell Technorati etc. "this is not a primary
source" and which direction leads upstream to the primary source. In
researching anything, the ability to identify a primary source is
invaluable. Adding this kind of ordinality would add value to any list
of related links such as a tag page.

Andy