[microformats-discuss] Re: Proposing RelSource

Tim White tjameswhite at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 11:17:24 PDT 2005

Andy said:
"Citing one's reference's references may be strictly proper to some
minds but to me it seems an undue burden on the author. With wide
acceptance, the practice of citing one degree of reference will
provide sufficient interlinking to enable a spider to infer a
reasonably accurate citation chain.

Trying to squash an Ad Infinitum between two pennies,
Andy"

I've got to agree with Andy, I don't know of anybody who cites a
reference's reference. (I'm sure it happens, just not in my circle.) It
would be most proper to cite the primary source, but barring that you
should only worry about citing the reference you are talking about.

Just look at the threads of this message over time -- I'm only
referencing Andy, not all of the previous threads, as has pretty much
everyone else.

Just my view from the sidelines.

(While most of this seems to be talking about blog-to-blog style
conversations, it has some parallel to ideas I have about the cite
element in general and whether a microformat is in order for books,
movies, et al. When I get some time I'll try to post my thoughts in
general for commentary.)

~ Tim