[microformats-discuss] Discovery of microformats

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Tue Jul 12 12:32:02 PDT 2005

On Jul 12, 2005, at 11:41 AM, Joshua Porter wrote:

> In trying to understand why I should, as a developer, produce
> microformat code, I realized that I don't know how to find out
> which sites use microformats and which don't.  (Tantek's pointer on
> microformats.org the other day reminded me of this)
>
> How would I (or my browsing/aggregating software) discover that a
> site is using microformats?

A couple of ways:

1. You could tell it that there are microformats there. :)
2. The UA could parse the page, looking for microformats that it
knows about.
3. Profile URL- microformats can have a profile url, which is in the
profile attribute of the head element.

spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#h-7.4
example:http://gmpg.org/xmdp/description

-ryan