[microformats-discuss] Re: Proposing RelSource

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 12:35:42 PDT 2005

Sorry, I'm arriving late to the party - I missed this list when I
first looked at microformats.org

Anyhow given the microformat credo of building on existing standards,
I thought it worth mentioning that there was considerable discussion
of useful values for a "rel" attribute over on the Atom list/wiki,
specifically for the <link> element. The decision was made to endorse
by IANA registration five initial values (alternate, related, self,
enclosure, via), but to also allow unregistered values that could be
specificied using an IRI. (The registered values would be considered
equivalent to the IRIs formed by the names preceded by
http://www.iana.org/assignments/relation/).

The general feeling was that this offered a good compromise between a
(ever growing!) list of preset values and an openly-extensible
approach. Use of IRIs prevents naming clashes.

Cheers,
Danny.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-atompub-format-09.txt
4.2.7.2  The "rel" Attribute