[microformats-discuss] Brainstorming on a "resume" microformat

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 13 09:12:50 PDT 2005

On 7/13/05 9:02 AM, "Carl Beeth" <carl.beeth at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/13/05, Michael Gorsuch <michael.gorsuch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was thinking of this earlier this week.  Why not keep it as simple
>> as possible:
>>
>> Can we embed an hcard for contact info, and essentially leave room for
>> a 'body' or 'content' attribute that would house the resume itself.
>>
>> The point is to make it easy to aggregate, correct?  So just keep the
>> format very lean, and allow 'recruiters' search for certain keywords
>> in the 'content' via their aggregation system.
>
> Just don't simplify it to uselessness, in the end if it is aggregated
> you will want to be process the information in it. and hcard +
> body-field does not leave much information on which to do meaningful
> processing.

Indeed, no one wants it to be useless.

However, there is something to be said for simplifying it so much that you
fail to provide enough features for some folks, or at least what they think
they need.

And then iterate and slowly add minimal features as necessary.

Then again, I have a feeling that much of what goes into a resume can be
built from the current microformat building blocks in quite a
straightforward fashion.

But for example, if a list of skills for now was nothing but an unordered
list, that might be ok.  Just one example for the sake of discussion.

Thanks,

Tantek