[microformats-discuss] Developer Adoption

Andy Hume andyhume at thedredge.org
Wed Jul 13 16:08:24 PDT 2005

Hi guys,

Sorry to interrupt the heavy spec brainstorming going on here (it
makes my evening train journey's fly by ;)) but I'd like to run
something by you guys.

My thoughts are increasingly turning to getting some of the more
refined formats (ie, hcal, ical, hreview, etc) into the minds of the
real world developers out there. It's all very well them coming along
to mf.org, but so many of them are not understanding what this is all
about. They're lost in the noise of some pretty exciting, but
daunting 'speccy' talk.

IMHO these early formats will be the key to encouraging developer
uptake because they work here and now, and can be useful in a real
world way. Do we need a developer adoption drive?

I run a developer site called UsableType (http://usabletype.com),
(which unfortunately, due to work has had a near 6 month hiatus - but
still appears to have hundreds of feed subscribers) and I am
currently writing a piece for it regarding microformats and more
specifically the hcard format. It is very basic stuff - but the crux
of it is showing how hcard can be useful *now* (mainly through X2V),
and something of a 'call to action' encouraging designers/developers
top spare the 10 minutes it would take to add their contact details
to an hcard on their blogs/portfolio's home page.

What are your feelings on this? And what specific mark-up example do
you believe would be appropriate for this?

Would <address class="vcard"> be an appropriate way of declaring an
hcard as specifically the authors details? And would it best be
located just once on the home page, or on every page in the footer?

Thoughts on this, and in general, are appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy.