[microformats-discuss] Developer Adoption

Kevin Marks kmarks at technorati.com
Thu Jul 14 13:52:38 PDT 2005

On Jul 14, 2005, at 1:25 PM, Lucas Gonze wrote:

> Given standardized HTML formats, we can share CSS for formatting the
> data.  Since high-quality CSS is actually pretty hard, this would save
> a lot of work.

How about a CSS Zen Garden for microformats?

> Given browser-visible data, we can use javascript to manipulate it.
> This allows browser-based tools into a market where only OS-based
> tools have been able to go.

Several people have been doing this already:

Chris Holland did a javascript that adds expand/collapse arrows to a
XOXO page:

http://homepage.mac.com/ctholland/thelab/outlines/

David Glasser did a javascript table renderer for hCalendar

http://web.mit.edu/glasser/www/JSCalendar/

An extension of this focused on conference layouts would be a splendid
thing

Les Orchard has an Outline editor:

http://www.decafbad.com/blog/2005/07/12/xoxo_outliner_experiment

> We can copy data from one site or page to another without losing the
> structure.  For example, we can reblog a blog entry without losing the
> original comment-submission URL.  Or, we can copy an event listing
> from the promoter's site to an event aggregator and from the
> aggregator to the user's calendar.  ...all with plain old web apps.

Lucas, I've been meaning to ask you about citation-wrapping on that -
some of the examples I've seen have made it hard to tell which is a
reblogged element and which is commentary by the reblogger. Perhaps you
can join in the
http://www.microformats.org/wiki/citation-brainstorming