[microformats-discuss] URIs please!

Peter Janes microformats-discuss at peterjanes.ca
Thu Jul 14 17:42:14 PDT 2005

Ryan King wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2005, at 8:14 AM, Bud Gibson wrote:
>> 2.  The presence of an XMDP cannot practically be assumed to mean
>> that any occurrence of an attribute value defined in the XMDP is to
>> be interpreted according to the XMDP's definition.
>
> Right, but we're not looking for individual attribute values, we're
> looking for attribute values in context.

I don't think it's necessarily true that a microformat will define a hierarchy
of attribute values.  Take rel="nofollow"[1], which defines a single value, as
an example: there's no structure involved, it is significant no matter where
it appears in a document.  My proposed robots-exclusion profile[2] is an even
more general case than rel="nofollow" since it defines attribute values (class
names) that can be used on any subset of elements in a document in any
combination or order.

(Some may debate that robots-exclusion is a microformat, since even in its
name it's targeted at crawlers.  To those folks I'd note that rel="nofollow",
which was created entirely for use by spiders, is perhaps the most
widely-adopted microformat out there; it certainly has the most significant
industry backing.)

Peter J.

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/relnofollow
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/robots-exclusion
--
"Fighting a war is easy.  Destroying is easy.  Building a new world out of
  what's left of the old, that is what's hard."  -- J. Michael Straczynski