[microformats-discuss] Re: microformats for various types of media?

Tim White tjameswhite at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 17:51:50 PDT 2005

Dougal's media idea got me to finally make some time and write up a
post[1] that's been a long time coming. It captures my thoughts from
the beginning -- working with semantic markup -- and progresses to
microformats as the solution.

I really think that a media microformat can solve a very simple problem
that I have, as well as introducing some interesting possibilities for
indexers, agregators, etc. The short version: I'm looking for a
meaningful way to distinguish different types of media (books, movies,
etc). The basic XHTML elements are pretty limited on this, but a
microformat would allow us to add meaning to existing elements.

I'm very new to the whole scene and am but a humble self-taught web
developer, so the post may be a bit basic. But hopefully it illustrates
well enough were I'm coming from and where I'd like to go.

Please let me know what you think. Are we onto something? What's next?
(Let me guess: http://www.microformats.org/wiki/process.)

[1] Read the entry:
http://www.tjameswhite.com/blog/archives/2005/07/semantic-markup-microformats/

~ Tim