[microformats-discuss] URIs please!

Carl Beeth carl.beeth at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 03:55:08 PDT 2005

I still have doubts on these XMDP Profiles, I can understand that they
are useful but they add a lot of complexity to the authoring. As I see
it one of the big ideas behind microformats is that someone could drop
a hCalendar event in a blog post. Now adding the XMDP Profile may not
seem as a big deal to some but in my opinion it makes it substantially
more complicated. A much more serious case is a XFN reference where
you add a huge overhead for a tiny item.

You will say that I don't need the profile on the element and that it
can be declared in the header of the page. But then you have a new
problem you will always need to know in advance if you will and what
microformat you might use where. I fear what will end up happening is
that implementors will do this on CMS level and all the templates will
contain all the possible XMDP Profiles adding a lot of cruft to the
pages. Or worse it will slow down adoption because it is more
complicated to implement.

So I can understand that there is a need to disambiguate and that XMDP
Profiles do that. But would it not be possible to make a super profile
that contains a bunch of profiles? This way you declare once for the
page that you respect a bunch of microformats.